Community Organizations for Families and Youth - COFFY:
COFFY is an operating, loosely configured, action-oriented and powerful body that oversees a boundless large group that aides, secures and empowers families and youth. As a committed group of empowering social service agencies, COFFY's common goal is to build a strong foundation and capacity to serve youth and families residing in Gary, Indiana.Our Mission:
To maintain a network of community organizations providing opportunities that lead to the healthy transformation of Gary, Indiana through interactive services for youth and families.Meeting Dates:
The Coordinating Committee Meets the Second Friday of Each Month, 8 - 10 AM at the John Will Anderson Club in Gary. If you wish to attend, mark you calendars now for 2008!
2010 COFFY Quarterly Meetings:
- March 10, 2010
- June 9, 2010
- September 8, 2010
- December 8, 2010
Quarterly meetings are always from 8:30 AM to 1:00 PM. Locations of meetings will be announced as they draw near.
Our ultimate goal is two-fold:
1. To address the needs of youth and families ensuring accessibility to safe havens.
2. To strengthen networking collaborations of youth and family services.
Our goals will be reached by first:
- Assessing services vs. the needs of the Gary community and identifying gaps.
- Ensuring agencies are matching community needs and are accessible to populations that need services most by building internal capacities.
- Developing services that directly address gaps in service.
- Developing a comprehensive directory of agencies and their programs.
COFFY has four strategic objectives:
- Provide an integrated and interactive system of family support which works to provide accessible family interactive services that concentrate on the healthy transformation of the City of Gary.
- Provide innovative, educational, technological and recreational services to help develop youth and their families throughout the community.
- Empower youth and families through the development of community supported systems.
- Create and sustain community partners to enhance social services that have a career plan for residents of urban communities from birth to adulthood.
LONG TERM OUTCOMES:
- Positive Self-Identity: Youth and families have a healthy self-concept and a strong belief in their self-worth.
- Competencies: Youth and families have the knowledge, skills, strategies and attitudes necessary to have a positive foundation for success (i.e. educational, employment, social, emotional, cultural).
- Community and Civic Involvement: Youth and families have a sense of belonging to their community, family and/or group and are willing to take civic responsibility.
- Health and Well-being: Youth and families live healthy lifestyles, take part in regular fitness activities, are able to access health care resources and engage in positive behaviors.
- Moral Compass: Youth and families have values that enable them to develop positive relationships with others.
Eddie Melton, Chair
Ann Thompson, Co-Chair
Health & Life Skills:
Lt. Lawrence Wright, Chair
Denise Dillard, Co-Chair
Youth Sports, Fitness & Recreation:
Rose Joiner, Chair
Caren Jones, Co-Chair
Arts & Culture:
Cara Spicer, Chair
William "Bill" Hill, Co-Chair
Jerome Flagg, Chair
In order to be a member of the COFFY collaboration, an organization or agency must be a 501(C)(3) agency or governmental entity providing service to youth and/or families in the City of Gary. Membership is renewable annually through a signed Memorandum of Understanding. Each member agency is expected to:
- Complete a New Member Orientation Session
- Actively work in a partnership manner to seek support for the collaboration
- Actively participate, minimum, in one of COFFY's Coordination Network Committees
- Attend at least 80% of Coordination Network Meetings
- Take initiative to become knowledgeable of COFFY's Mission and Goals
- Attend at least one quarterly workshop and one semi-annual seminar
- Annually complete agency survey questionnaire
- Foster goodwill for COFFY by sharing resources and information pertinent to achievement of goals and objectives